Host a RUST Dedicated Server
Looking to host a RUST Dedicated Server? This guide to RUST server hosting will walk you through setting up a Windows-based RUST Dedicated Server, with easy step by step instructions.
There are many reasons for wanting to hosting your own RUST Experimental server. Some RUST players want full control of their server so that they can manipulate the server’s rules, settings, modifications, physical location, and an untold amount of other reasons. Whatever your reasons, lets get to it.
Software & Hardware System Requirements
- Windows (7, 8.1 or 10) 64-bit
- RAM 4GB (minimum), 8GB+ (recommended)
- Available Hard Drive Space 6GB (minimum)
- Archive/Compression Tool
- Download & Install SteamCMD for Windows
- Download & Install RUST Dedicated Server for Windows
Step 1 – Prepare, Download, Install SteamCMD
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the drive you want to install the SteamCMD to.
- Create a new folder in this location as follows (We will be using the C:\ drive):
- Download SteamCMD for Windows from the SteamCMD – Valve Developer Community website.
- When the download completes, right click on the file name and select “Extract All” option, then browse to the new folder you created and select it.
- Then you will need to press the “Extract” button, as seen below:
- Navigate back to the new C:\steamcmd\ folder, if it did not automatically open for you.
- Double click on the steamcmd application file.
- A console window will open and begin downloading the latest updates, it will look similar to this:
- When the SteamCMD update has finished, you’ll be entered into the SteamCMD prompt.
Step 2 – Login to SteamCMD
- Now you will need to authenticate with Steam through the SteamCMD.
- As of 9/9/2017, you have
two optionsone option, or with your Steam accountusing the following commands:
login user_name If you chose to used a Steam account, you will be prompted to enter your password next. Also, if your account has activated the Steam Guard, you will be required to enter the Steam Guard access code. When successfully entering the correct password and Steam Guard access code, the message “Logged in OK” will be displayed and you will have successfully logged into SteamCMD.
- Keep the SteamCMD console open for the next step.
Note: Some servers will require you to use a Steam account. For security and convenience reasons, it’s advised that you use a secondary Steam account, that’s just for your RUST Dedicated Server. Only one Steam user account can be logged in at any time. If you wanted to play at the same time, this will conflict.
Step 3 – Download & Install RUST Dedicated Server
- In the SteamCMD prompt, set the installation folder for where your RUST Dedicated Server will install and run from, by entering the following command:
- The above command will set the destination in which your RUST Dedicated Server files will be installed and run from.
- In the SteamCMD prompt, download and install the RUST Dedicated Server by entering the following command:
app_update 258550 validate
- This may take some time depending on your current download speed and bandwidth.
- When complete, the SteamCMD console will look something like this:
- it will have pulled down approximately 5.6 GB+ worth of files into your C:\steamcmd\rust_server\ directory, allowing you to now run all of the necessary files for a Vanilla RUST Server.
Step 4 – Run & Join Your RUST Dedicated Server
- Now locate the RustDedicated.exe executable file in the server directory that you created earlier. See below:
- Double click the icon for the above file and your RUST dedicated server will begin loading.
- A command console will be displayed, in which you can enter RUST admin & server commands into.
To join your server:
- Load up your Steam Library and run RUST as you would normally.
- Once the game is loaded, press F1 to bring up the RUST Console and type the following command:
- This will connect you to your RUST Dedicated Server.
- If you are running the the server from a different machine, you will need the IP address of that machine, to replace the “localhost” text.
And that’s it, you are now running a RUST Dedicated Server!
If you have any troubles getting the server downloaded and installed, or notice any errors, please leave a comment below or reach out to us on our discord. We’ll be glad to help where we can.
Keep an eye out for more information on how to configure your new dedicated game server. A series of posts to help explain the many different settings in RUST Experimental is on the way.